Thursday 7 May 2015

"Consoles are more convenient than PC"

I have a couple of friends who prefer console gaming to PC gaming. They tell me it's because console gaming is so much easier - all you have to do is pop in the disc and it works, no optimizing settings or fixing weird startup crashes or whatever.

True enough... unless you don't play your console very often.

I never really planned to buy a 360 because there weren't very many games on the system that appealed to me. The reason I have one is because a generous friend passed it on to me for free. And since I own it, I naturally picked up a few games for it.

The inconvenience comes from playing one old game at a time with months between games. When I boot up the 360 to try a new game, it has to update, which takes a few minutes. Then, since it's been so long since I last used it, it usually has to update again. Then I put the game disc in and the game has to update. So rather than toss in a disc and play, it's more like toss in a disc and go do something else for twenty or thirty minutes until the console and game are done updating.

I know this is mainly a quirk of how I use my 360 and that anyone who uses their console more regularly won't have this issue.

But it's still annoying.

1 comment:

  1. That is a flaw of the Xbox 360 in particular, not consoles in general.

    ReplyDelete